Call for submissions!
The Mennonite, Inc. welcomes original submissions and contributions for the October 2017 print magazine issue and corresponding online content focusing on Scripture: Texts that move and shape you.
Submissions are due no later than August 1, 2017.
The Mennonite welcomes written reflections—personal stories, biblical or theological reflections, poetry and more (800-1200 words), as well as original photography, multimedia products (including, but not limited to, original song or music recordings, music playlists, videos and vlogs) and artwork on the theme.
Submissions could consider these or other questions related to the theme:
- What is one Scripture passage that was a “theme text” or that has been particularly important to you throughout your life? Can you tell a story of how you discovered this text and what it has meant for you and your community?
- Can you tell a story of a time when Scripture transformed your understanding? Or when Scripture challenged you? Encouraged you? Sustained you?
- From the 16th century on, Anabaptists have emphasized reading and interpreting Scripture in community. How has your understanding of Scripture been shaped by the communities where you have encountered it? What are some of the places, spaces or communities (congregations, friends, neighbors, strangers, family, enemies, Bible study group, etc.) that have shaped your understandings of Scripture?
- What Scripture passages have you wrestled with or found confusing? Can you tell a story of how you approach and engage these passages?
- How have your understandings of Scripture evolved or changed over time?
- Are there regular practices that you engage as you read Scripture?
- How has Scripture moved beyond simply reading the text into your life and the life of your community?
- How has Scripture shaped your identity and sense of place in the world?
Submissions should be sent to Editor@TheMennonite.org no later than August 1, 2017.
You can check out our full Editorial Guidelines online.